Friday, July 6, 2012

My muscles hate me, but in a good way.



After days of putting off eccentric exercising, I finally worked up to the courage to go work out - and it wasn't as bad as I thought!

I warmed up with a brisk walk on the treadmill for five minutes and then started on the chest press machine. At first I felt a little self-conscious about my unusual lifting technique, but once I got into my reps I had to focus all of my energy on the exercise itself. It was tough! My muscles felt like gelatin afterwards.

Even though I've lifted weights before, I had a little trouble figuring out exactly what weights to use with the eccentric exercises. I think I need to improve my entire technique. The work was so hard that I kept forgetting the right way to breath. I also made the mistake of briefly resting between each rep because my muscles kept giving out. The exercise would be much more effective if I lowered the weight slightly so that I could manage 6 reps without losing control. So far I'm sore, but I don't think I'll be sore for three to four days like I should be. I guess the only downside to eccentric exercising is that I have to wait another week to try and perfect my technique.

Overall, my SANE lifestyle is going well. Despite a Fourth of July inSANE binge, I've been sticking to SANE foods. Even though I've been following this regimen for less than a week, I've already noticed a change in my cravings; starches and sweets don't seem nearly as tempting as they did on Day 2 (as you probably saw in my last post). I read in SSoS last night that our body can actually become physically addicted to sweets, so I was probably experiencing withdrawals at that point. Let's just say I'm feeling much more optimistic now!

For those sweet cravings I can't resist, I bought some vanilla flavored whey protein from Target and a new Black & Decker Cyclone 12-Speed Blender to go with it. This purchase made me more giddy than it should've, but it's the little things in life that count, right? My first SANE smoothie consisted of ice, whey, Greek yogurt, blackberries, spinach, and flax. It was soooo good and sooo fulfilling! I will definitely be eating more of those as I continue my SANEsational journey.

What I ate today
Breakfast: Scrambled egg and 3 egg whites. Grapefruit. 2 celery stalks with natural peanut butter.

Snacks: 2 handfuls of walnuts. Water with 1/2 scoop of whey. Frozen banana "ice cream."

Lunch: Big smoothie with a handful of raspberries, 2 scoops of whey protein, a cup of Spinach, a handful of flax seed, and about 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt.

Supper: A large chicken breast, fried in 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and then baked with a cup of spinach, a little mozzarella, garlic, salt, and pepper. A "market fresh" vegetable steamer bag of zucchini, carrots, peppers, and tomatoes with chili spices and flax seed on top. 1 cup of unsweetened green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment