Monday, July 2, 2012

Ignorance is bliss vs. the truth will set you free.

A few weeks ago I watched the Matrix movies for the first time, and right now I'm feeling like Neo when he learned the reality of his existence (Nerd alert). What's learned can't be unlearned.

Knowing the truth about health and weight loss is a bit of a blessing and a curse right now. Yesterday, I did relatively well eating SANE foods. My proportions weren't perfect, but I was still pretty proud of myself. Today is a different story: My sweet cravings are trying to take control! I really wish I could just eat that cookie and then head to the gym to burn it off, but because I now know it doesn't work that way, I can't justify it. Sorry, Cookie.

I was reading some of the online support groups yesterday, and there are several suggestions for relatively SANE sweets, but I really want to stay on track right now. After all, I am just getting started, and I'm worried that if I fall off the bandwagon once, I may never get back on. I'm especially concerned about the Fourth of July. The Fourth is like my family's Christmas, and there is going to be inSANE food everywhere. I'll just have to do the best I can and use it for a cheat day. Maybe I'll bring some veggies with me.

I still haven't tried any of the eccentric exercises suggested by the book. These exercises only take minutes, but as I mentioned yesterday, they work your muscles to the core. I'm going to try the gym version of the exercises first because I don't own any free weights right now. I think I'll do that tomorrow morning.

In the gym, exercising eccentrically calls for four basic resistance machines: a chest press, a shoulder press, a leg press, and a rowing machine (If I'm remembering correctly. I'll have to double check my book later). On these machines, I will have to pick a heavy weight that I can lift with both of my arms or both of my legs. After lifting with both limbs, I am supposed to slowly lower the weight using only ONE of my arms/legs. I am supposed to do 12 reps per machine, six on my right and six on my left. This doesn't appear too difficult, but appearances can be deceiving.

Overall, I think that achieving health might be a little tougher than I initially expected, but that's okay. I just have to stay strong. Nothing worth having ever came easy, right? 

Stay SANE.

What I ate today
Breakfast: 2 eggs (I skipped the egg whites today because I'm a college student on a budget, and that's a lot of eggs. Not as SANE, but okay for today). 1 cup of spinach. 1 orange. 1 handful of almonds.

Lunch: Smoothie with 1 cup spinach, raspberries, strawberries, greek yogurt, and flax seed. Chicken breast.

Snacks: Greek yogurt with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, and flax. Orange. 3 handfuls of walnuts.

Dinner: 3 cups of spinach with mango salsa. Cauliflower pureed with Greek Yogurt. 2 muffin-sized portions of meat loaf and 1 slice of lemon poppyeed bread (Oops... my boyfriend made it for me and my friends. How could I resist?). Too much watermelon. 1 cup green tea with Stevia.

No comments:

Post a Comment