Monday, July 23, 2012

Ice cream, and pizza, and sugar... oh, my!

I think I've avoided writing lately because I've been a little naughty. After two strict weeks of SANE eating (and 5 lbs lost), I took a ten day trip to Texas/New Mexico to visit my family, and apparently, vacations are no friend to SANEity; I've gained my 5 lbs back. Staying SANE is much more difficult when you aren't the only one preparing your meals.

Though I'm a little embarrassed at my lack of commitment, I haven't completely reverted to my poor eating habits. Upon my arrival in NM, I had my grandma take me to the grocery store to buy SANE foods galore. I even convinced her to try some milled flax seed. Nonetheless, the ice cream in my aunt's freezer was hard to resist. My "vacation" mentality probably didn't help either. I definitely set myself up for failure in that way (excuses, excuses...)

I am returning to reality in Minnesota on Wednesday, and I am promising myself that I will get back on track once I step off the plane. No more excuses! I'm not looking forward to a new case of sugar withdrawals, but if I survived it once, I can do it again. I am looking forward to restarting my eccentric workouts. So far, each workout has left me sore for days, which definitely signals effectiveness!

Even though I've been a poor role model for those attempting SANEity, I have tried some interesting SANE recipes over the last few weeks: Garlic herb turkey meatballs, spaghetti squash, and SANE peanut butter "fudge."

Garlic Herb Turkey Meatballs
I really enjoyed this recipe. It was super easy, super tasty, and super sane. My boyfriend even ate some! One lb. of ground turkey made about 20 meatballs, so this was a good source of protein that lasted several days for me. To find the recipe, go to http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/7-days/.

Spaghetti Squash
The spaghetti squash was an interesting alternative to spaghetti noodles. I baked it as per the instructions, and ate it with some Preggo spaghetti sauce (Not very SANE). Much to my dismay, the "noodles" were very crunchy. It tasted like an under-cooked vegetable. However, my cousin assured me that she's had it before and that the noodles she tried were soft. I found some new cooking instructions online, so I will give it another shot.

SANE peanut butter "fudge"
For chocoholics like myself who are afraid to try SANEity, know this: Pure cocoa is SANE, SANE, SANE!  You can mix it in smoothies, or any other recipes you like. SANE peanut butter fudge consists of natural peanut butter, pure cocoa powder, water, flax seed, Stevia sweetener, and whey protein (preferably chocolate flavored). I ate it straight out of the bowl with a spoon, and it definitely satisfied my cravings. Supposedly, it can also be used as a frosting or in baking. Yum!


Anyway, I plan to post more frequently from now on, more for me than anyone else. I have to keep myself accountable! After losing five lbs. in two weeks, I'm convinced this program works. I just need to stick to it and reap the rewards.

Stay SANE.

No comments:

Post a Comment